GEA Golf Forum > White Clubs

Full Version: White Clubs

6 May 2011
To: ALL

Being old and somwhat of a tradionalist......I was not too excited about the introduction of white clubheads.....I had a white putter(Zebra) way back when and it was no big deal. but I decided to build a new fairway wood and thought; what the hell........Might as well make a white one and it might get some attention and generate a little business.........So I purchased the Wishon 929 16.5* head handpicked at 1* flat and .75* open........Stuck a S2S Black R in it, left it untipped and off to the course we went......I liked it........Very solid and long and straight club.......Hit some great shots but the thing that sorta got me was........This thing is special, something about the white head made me want to hit good shots and concentrate a little more.......Whatever; it felt special and all my buddies were wanting to look at it and oohed and ahhed over it........couple of offers to buy it! ;-) No, but I can make you one!! :P Anyway........I'm sure there is nothing different, black to white in actual performance but it does make for a good change and add a little interest and excitement to the club hoing and I'm very happy I tried it......... ;-)

6 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#1] 6 May 2011

There's a guy in my league who has a new Taylor Made driver. The white color is definitely so different that it catches everyone's eye. He let a few of us hit it, so since the flex was pretty close to my own driver, I tried it. I made two swings, and found I had great difficulty not watching the clubhead go back on takeaway. Others had the same experience. I suspect I could get used to that rather quickly, but it was distracting. Has that happened to you? (If not, and it happens in the future because I suggested it, please accept my apology in advance.)

6 May 2011
To: My Greens Stimp At 2 (ROBGW) [#2] 6 May 2011

NOPE! Not Yet, but I'm coming for you if it now happens!!! ;-)

6 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#3] 6 May 2011

Wishon 929 made a showing in this weeks Golfworld Theres a picture and small article but no mention of the white version.....Nice for a small company like Wishon to get some National recognition for some of his truly great designs!! Atta Boy to Tom!! B-)

6 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#1] 6 May 2011

No, you've not listened to Taylor Made recently.

The White Paint makes the club look bigger, so you can instinctively swing harder and still make contact.

The White Paint (insert trumpet fanfare here) is a better contrast to green grass, improving your ability to accurately line up your shot. This gives you the confidence to swing harder and still make contact.

The White Paint (insert double trumpet fanfare here) reflects sunlight and stays cooler, keeping the metal surfaces from expanding like they do for black clubheads. The colder, denser metal transfers more energy to the ball.

All of these together combine for an incredible distance increase of 20 microns.

EDITED: 6 May 2011 by SPARKY

6 May 2011
To: Sparky [#5] 6 May 2011

+1 LOL

6 May 2011

:)

6 May 2011

Yes, and what is the explanation going to be when they go back to black or start offering "custom" colors?

6 May 2011
To: HoPing (PHIL75070) [#8] 8 May 2011

Black Paint makes the clubhead look smaller, encouraging you subconsciously to be more precise and find the sweet spot better

Black Paint blends into the grass better, distracting you less

the Black Paint absorbs heat, causing the head to expand which makes the sweet spot bigger

6 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#1] 7 May 2011

Glad you like your club but sorry to see other manufacters have to copy TM in pursuit of sales. Im really suprised to see Tom doing this. The golf industry is in really sad shape at the moment and I guess that leads to drastic measures to garner sales.

7 May 2011
To: Whateverworks (BGOOD) [#10] unread

Well the whole industry and most industries copy whatever works.....How many copies of the Ping Anser have been made in the last 20 years?? Also I think the white Wishons were available in Jan and they had to have been on the drawing board for awhile before that........Nike just did a blatant copy of Wishon's micro grooves....so it's all part of the biz world these days and maybe not just these days!! ;-)

7 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#11] 7 May 2011

"Im really suprised to see Tom doing this"
I don't see Tom "copying anyone". If there is copying to be done it is other way. His track record proves this.

7 May 2011
To: Papa (PAPA BAKER) [#12] 7 May 2011

I highly doubt Wishon saw TM's white and said "I should do this"

More likely his clients asked for white, and he figured it was a painless way to sell more clubheads. Not a tough decision.

7 May 2011
To: Sparky [#13] 8 May 2011

quote: Sparky
I highly doubt Wishon saw TM's white and said "I should do this"

More likely his clients asked for white, and he figured it was a painless way to sell more clubheads. Not a tough decision.

That's precisely what the Wishon annoucement said. That some club builders had asked for white heads to sell....because they had customers who wanted to try one.

Of course, that's still technically copying the concept. But not for conventional reasons.

K

8 May 2011
To: kenoneputt [#14] 9 May 2011

Hey Guys! It has been a very, very long time since I drug my butt in here and said, "HELLO!"
Some of you all know me, but some will have no idea who I am..........that is not always a bad thing, ;-).
Love to see a civilized discussion about all the white stuff and the hulla-balloo around it. Makes me feel like I was not totally crazy.
Some of you guys know that I have been refinishing putters in white for the past three years, if requested. Heck, 16 months before Justin Rose had that victory, Hugh Royer III was rolling a very sweet little MannKrafted/Sunset Beach putter done in white. His wife would be rolling it to this day, if he would have let her, LOL. It got some nicks and dings on the white and HRIII is very big on keeping things as perfect as is possible. I took it back in and now that rascal is a beautiful black and just as pretty as the day it was white.
I, like most, believe that the white is a fad and will eventually pass. The white finishes are inherently less durable, due to simple pigment issues, so they tend to chip a little easier. Most times when I stop in at the local PGA Tour Superstore, every single "new" TaylorMade putter on display has chips and nicks from being handled by guys just testing them out.
As for TM's spin on why they were done and such..............if it smells like BS, looks like BS............it's BS.
I think white putters look very cool, when new and done right. Anyone can grab a can of Krylon and do it up, might even look good for a while. But, when the finish starts to show wear, it is not quite the same as a black finish that is just aging a bit.
Well, thanks for allowing me to participate in your forum and I will try to be a better member here and see if I can be a positive contributor.
Take care and HappY Mother's Day
LaMont in AZ

8 May 2011
To: ALL

Cobra had an all white driver that John Daly (called the Ultramid) played when he won the 1991 PGA. Cobra also had a white headed driver last fall in play with Ian Poulter before TM introduced their white headed clubs. There was probably somebody before Cobra that had a white colored clubhead as well.

At the end of the day whether it's a component head or a big name OEM club who gives a flying leap who had it first? Each side (Oem, Component) has it's own hard core fans and kool aid drinkers.

How about just enjoying the gear one has without a sophmoric pizzing match directed towards the other side of the OEM/Component debate? It honestly seems anymore that people here and other golf forums would rather bi.tch about that than enjoy the gear one has.

8 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#1] 8 May 2011

I hit several TM's at a demo day earlier this week.

After a few shots, you forget they are white. It's not distracting, nor are you thinking it's a bigger, easier to hit head.

What I found was that it all came down to the shaft. With the TM system, you can try different shafts and heads.

I liked the TP hybrids with the RIP shaft. Very accurate. Although I did find them going a little high and short, relative to the lofts. Probably could be addressed by setting the lofts stronger.

I also liked the TP driver with the RIP shaft. Although I couldn't find a fairway shaft I liked in the TP 3 wood.

I didn't care for the new Burner series drivers or hybrids. Everything flew very high, with a lot of spin, even the TPs. The shafts are extra long, and softer than the R11 shafts. Clubs for smooth swingers looking to pick up a few more yards.

8 May 2011
To: MannKrafted (GOLFLUVZME) [#15] 8 May 2011

Thanks for joining in.......I also wonder how the white heads will hold up.......that's one of the reasons I started with a fairway metal rather than a driver. I'm pretty good at keeping my clubs looking good, as I usually keep them in a headcover and keep a marine wax on them all the time. But time will tell.....I was just kind of surprised what a positive effect it had on me.......very fun and now I want to hit it all the time!! :P

8 May 2011
To: Coach (YOGI243) [#18] 9 May 2011

If the change makes a positive impression on your game and you enjoy it, who is anyone to say it is good or bad.
I remember as a kid, maybe 13 years old, when my dad had a GolfCraft Persimmon done in white lacquer and clear coated. It was bad-azz, as far as I was concerned. Looked a little like a marshmallow on a shaft.
I always loved that driver and have no idea where it went. I don't believe my dad does, either.
Hit it well, no matter the color and enjoy your game.
Thanks for allowing me to participate,
LaMont in AZ

8 May 2011
To: kenoneputt [#14] 9 May 2011

"Of course, that's still technically copying the concept. But not for conventional reasons."

That sounds like the most conventional of all reasons to copy an unusual trait of a hot product -- to glom on and sell some of your own. It's copy cat, whether Wishon does it, or Cobra does it, or anybody else. No free passes, IMO ... :o)

Show messages:  1-20  21-32

Reply to All

Back to thread list | Login

© 2014 Project Beehive Forum